1959 VW Engine Cover

Project Description

This began as a joke. We found a red, rusted and dirty 1959 Volkswagon engine cover at a garage sale for $5. We hung it on our dining room wall and taped big eyes on it.

I liked it. I liked the big red piece of metal on my wall. However, it needed some loving care.

Sooooo I washed it, sanded off the rust and painted them both back on.

I turned it around (handle down), found a 1959 license plate on eBay, added some fake wild flowers (threw in a few butterflies) and glued on some moss and a bird’s nest.

It looks great in the dining room!

Featured in 1000 Creative Ideas for Reuse by Garth Johnson

Project Details

  • Date April 21, 2009
  • Tags Mixed Media / Assemblage

Related Projects

Back to Top